A Critical Analysis of Desideria, written by William Wordsworth

The poem 'Desideria' has been composed by William Wordsworth after his daughter's death. He is one of the greatest poets of Romantic Age. This poem is the deepest feeling of the poet because of losing his flower of family as his lovely daughter 'Catherine'. The poet composed this poem into fourteen lines, that is called Sonnet. This Sonnet shows poet's memory for his daughter. Let's see stanza by stanza of this poem. 

"Surprized by joy- impatient as the wind,
I turned to share the transport--Oh!with whom,
But thee-deep buried in the silent tomb, 
That spot which no vicissitude can find?"
                                      In the first stanza of the poem, the poet says that when she comes to our family then we surprise with a lot of joy and happiness. We want to share this happiness to all around. When she goes out unfortunately from family and buried in the silent tomb, then we will be unhappy and sad to find out that spot where she buried. I mean, she disappeared from family within few months after giving immense pleasure to all, it's unfortunate. After going from family, we are like flowers without perfume or a garden without scented flowers. Each member of the family is trying to find the spot but couldn't get sense of satisfaction. 

"Love, faithful love recall'd thee to my mind, 
But how could I forget thee?Through what power 
Even for the least division of an hour, 
Have I been so beguiled as to be blind ".
                             In the second stanza of the poem, the poet says that your love and affection knocking my mind once and once. Your faithful behavior still striking my mind so how can I forget you and your lovely activities. It's not just easy to forget you. I mean, you're with me at the last moment of my life. There is no any power of human life to part an hour but your guilded life made me blind and deaf. I regret that power which parted you from me. If you had to go within sort span of time, why God sent you to this earth especially in my life. 

"To my most grievous loss?--that thought's return, 
Was the worst pang that sorrow ever bore
Save one, one only, when I stood forlorn,"
                                    In the third stanza of the poem, the poet says that this is the most vital pain in his life. It's a big loss for the poet because he thinks that she was a beautiful flower of his life. Not only this but also she was as high energy of life. When he thinks previous then unbearable pain he feels. He wants to mention that it's a big loss which can not be fulfilled by me till end of life. Now I am praying to God that save her spirit...save her spirit. 

"Knowing my heart's best treasure was no more;
That neither present time, nor years unborn 
Could to my sight that heavenly face restore ".
               In the last stanza of the poem, the poet says with high sense of purpose that he knows he lost heart's best treasure. His faith and love is no more now to listen him. He says that her face and her spirit not present in this time or could not come to my sight because that became heavenly face. That spirit could not come on this mortal days but could be appeared in the land of peace. I think she is belonging from heaven with heavenly qualities so that God accepts her heart so early. Finally, in this poem, the poet says that he loves a lot to his daughter and she is no more now so he feels pain and grief. Her love and affection hitting his mind continuously. So, this poem has been written by him in his daughter's memory after her death.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summary of The Guide

Transformation of Indian Culture

Shakespeare as a great dramatist as well as a great poet.